Wednesday, March 2, 2011

True Givers Never Stop

A few days ago I made a commitment to blog at least 3 times a week.  Now that I make the commitment I find it is easier to pick topics to blog about.

Today I went to the local Caseys store to get fountain drinks for lunch and ran in to a co-worker that also works at night that I run into on occasion.  He was getting pizza and during our conversation mentioned it was his birthday.  I mentioned it was my sons birthday also and we continued to talk in the check out line.  After he paid for his pizza and before he left he offered me a piece and I politely declined since I had taken care of lunch already.

It was not until I got home that I realized that I was just witness to a true giver.  I know him a little and know that he is a very nice, mild mannered, church going person but had not really ever seen him out of our work setting.  I have no doubt that if I needed that pizza to feed somebody he would have given it up and likely not thought twice about it.  That is the type of person we all should strive to be.

I learned myself that doing and giving more of time and money is very rewarding.  If you truly give and expect nothing in return things just seem to work out better.  I have been working hard over the last couple of years to be a better giver and I have noticed better things happen to me and I am able to connect with people better.  I used to think that my luck had changed because everything seemed to fall into place better or when I needed something that next thing I knew it was there.  I have since realized that it is no accident and it is definitely  not luck.

In following Dave Ramsey I have learned to become a giver even though we are working on getting rid of all our debt.  Our family gives more now than we ever have and we are getting out of debt in leaps and bounds even though my wife no longer works full time.  I firmly believe that because now we control our finances instead of our finances controlling us and making sure that we take the time to give that God has smiled upon us and when that happens things just fall into place.

If you are not a true giver just give a try and know that you must give and never expect the favor back in return for it to truly be a gift.  You will be a better person for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment